West Ham have been plunged into crisis – after just three games.
It comes after David Moyes and two players, Josh Cullen and Issa Diop, tested positive for coronavirus before their Carabao Cup win over Hull City but it is a major disruption to their preparations for Sunday’s trip to Wolves.
The whole squad were forced to undergo a fresh round of tests yesterday while a deep clean was done at the training ground and stadium to stop fears of the outbreak spreading.
They will have to self isolate for ten days, provide a negative test before they can return, although it is understood Moyes does not feel ill or unwell and wants to take a “hands-on” role in preparing the team even if it will be done remotely.
That comes on top of a difficult summer and co-owner David Sullivan has admitted they may not be able to make any more signings this summer.
Fans are still upset at their transfer business after captain Mark Noble voiced his anger and frustration on social media at the sale of young forward Grady Diangana to West Brom.
The hope was that the sale would raise extra funds as they have been chasing Burnley defender James Tarkowski but now they are struggling to bring players in and the loss of centre half Diop for two games will only pile on the misery.
Sullivan told talkSPORT : “I’m waiting for targets from the manager and we’ve got two or three bids in. Unfortunately the benchmark is very high and they’re very hard to get, those players.
Whether we get any of these players I do not know.”
It has been a hectic and unique transfer window so far – so make sure you don’t miss a single thing by signing up for the brilliant new Mirror Football newsletter!
You’ll been clued up on Jadon Sancho, Declan Rice and more as clubs buy their way through the summer. All the latest transfer news and big stories will land straight into your inbox. You won’t miss out.
To sign up, put your email at the top of this article or follow the instructions on this link.
“He wants to bring players in who will improve the team. We have a number of bids in for a number of players. Teams don’t want to lose them, these are key players with decent sized clubs, obviously outside the UK, and they don’t want to lose them so it’s difficult.”
Premier League chiefs are confident that West Ham’s game with Wolves will go ahead despite Moyes, Cullen and Diop testing positive and the bizarre circumstances surrounding their late withdrawal.
West Ham carried out tests on Monday, the results only came back at 6.20pm on Tuesday by which time all three were at the stadium and immediately went into an isolation room despite all three being asymptomatic.
They all went home in their own cars, have all been retested to ensure none were “false positives” and the whole squad had a day off on Wednesday which was already pre-planned.
But they have all now undergone a new round of tests and West Ham United Head of Medical Richard Collinge insists they have dealt with it in line with Premier League protocols to ensure there is no further outbreak.
How do you think West Ham will get on this season? Have your say below.
Collinge said: “We are always trying to be pro-active – that is why we have followed the testing protocols that have been in place since lockdown finished and nothing has really changed.
“That is why those protocols are in place – for moments like this – so that we can action things quickly and move on to the next phase, to get everyone back in as safely as possible.
“You never want this to happen, of course, but we were ready for it and were able to move quickly to deal with the situation.”
Sign up to the Mirror Football email here for the latest news and transfer gossip.