Total Tech Summit Virtual brought together leaders from industry associations to discuss two key problems facing integrators — a lack of job candidate talent and a lack of diversity.
One of the most commonly cited concerns in the security industry, as well as systems integration industries in general, is the lack of diversity and available talent.
While these issues are being addressed through industry groups and programs such as SIA‘s Women in Security Forum, RISE and Foundation for Advancing Security Talent, there is still much work to be done.
During this year’s Total Tech Summit, SSI Business Fitness columnist Paul Boucherle led a keynote featuring leaders from key industry associations to discuss the lack of talent and a lack of diversity, and how to address it.
Boucherle leads the discussion as representatives from NSCA (Tom LeBlanc), CEDIA (Samantha Ventura), the AVIXA Foundation (Sarah Joyce) and the AVIXA Diversity Council (Charmaine Toruella) emphasize the importance of diversity and where it meets the strategy of recruitment and retention of new talent.
Some of the other discussion points include:
- Why and how a more diverse employee base makes a difference to the bottom line
- The business side of creating strategies for recruiting and training new talent
- How to target more diverse potential recruits to the industry and to your organization
- What diversity will do to improve the AV industry, and how homogenized employee bases can hurt your business specifically
- Next steps for getting started on the path of bringing in new talent and emphasizing diversity in your organization
The COVID-19 pandemic has brought forth many questions as we head into 2021. Don’t let a lack of diversity and talent bring you down. Watch the keynote above to see what the panelists had to say.