Thomas Tuchel sends message to Ben Chilwell over battle with Marcos Alonso


Ben Chilwell has been a casualty of the Thomas Tuchel era so far (Picture: Getty Images)

Thomas Tuchel has ensured Ben Chilwell that he remains in his plans at Chelsea, despite Marcos Alonso usurping the Englishman as first-choice at left-back under the new manager.

Chilwell arrived at Chelsea from Leicester over the summer and immediately became a key player under Frank Lampard, but has seen his role diminished under Tuchel.

Alonso has been restored to the first team under the German, when he had struggled for minutes under Lampard and the Spaniard has impressed since being given the vote of confidence.

Given the form of Manchester United’s Luke Shaw, Chilwell will be sweating on his place in the England team at the European Championships next summer, and of course because he wants to be playing regularly for the Blues.

Tuchel says he can understand his player’s anxiety, but insists he remains in his plans and will get chances to impress.

‘If he is [concerned], I can absolutely understand, because he got some difficult and very tight decisions go against him,’ Tuchel said.

‘We took the choice for Marcos in a game where we played with five [defenders] because he was more familiar with the position, he played under Antonio Conte and we opted for him for his strengths in the air, to defend and attack set pieces.

‘Marcos did a very good match and scored the decisive goal and from there it was hard to come back. I had a talk with him before the Tottenham match and told him “You have to trust me now, I see the potential, I see your talent”.

‘It’s possible that [Chilwell] thinks a lot about this situation, hopefully not too much because he can have trust in himself first of all, and he can trust us as staff that we will keep on pushing and we will find possibilities to reward him.

Thomas Tuchel has not settled on his first team at Chelsea yet (Picture: Getty Images)

‘He showed a good performance in Sheffield which was very important for him and for the team, but sometimes it takes a little bit of time and there are hard decisions at the moment in clubs like Chelsea with a squad of 23 players.

‘It’s my job to not lose these players, and to help them not to lose their trust, and if he keeps on going he’s a fantastic guy and he has a lot of potential and we will find possibilities for him to be on the pitch.

‘At the same time, we wanted to have a start where we are fair to everybody and we don’t judge nobody by the amount of money that the club has spent, but to give everybody the feeling that this is a fresh start.

‘If Marcos is in the moment the guy who took a bit the advantage of this situation, yes, but this is not the end for Chilly’s development, for sure.’

Chelsea host Newcastle on Monday night in the Premier League and Chilwell will be hoping to be back in the first team after sitting out the FA Cup win over Barnsley on Thursday.


MORE :
Sir Alex Ferguson sends message to Man Utd outcast Jesse Lingard on loan at West Ham


MORE : Liverpool, Man Utd and Chelsea eye RB Leipzig defender Ibrahima Konate

Follow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

For more stories like this, check our sport page.





READ SOURCE

READ  Watford winger Ismaila Sarr open to Liverpool transfer

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here