In this week’s top stories: Apple officially releases iOS 13 and watchOS 6 to the public, the iPhone 11 and Apple Watch Series 5 launch, and much more. Read on for all of this week’s biggest news.
Ecobee HomeKit Thermostat
After three months of beta testing, iOS 13 is officially here. The update has been released for iPhone and iPod touch users. It adds features including Dark Mode, a QuickPath keyboard, Apple Arcade, performance improvements, and much more. Read our roundup of the 13 best iOS 13 features here.
Meanwhile, watchOS 6 has also been released to the public, but only for Apple Watch Series 3 and Series 4 users. The update brings new watch faces and built-in apps, such as Voice Memos and Calculator. There are also new Siri features, Activity Trends, and much more.
Apple’s software releases won’t stop after this week, though. iOS 13.1 and iPadOS 13.1 will be released next week on September 24th, while we’re also still waiting on tvOS 13, macOS Catalina, and HomePod updates.
Elsewhere, the iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro, as well as the Apple Watch Series 5, have officially arrived. The devices are now available from Apple Stores and other retailers around the world. The first orders started arriving late on Thursday evening and haven’t stopped since.
This week also included review embargoes for the iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and Apple Watch Series 5. For the iPhone 11, reviewers praised the device’s value and camera performance, while the iPhone 11 Pro was praised for its triple-lens camera and battery life. The Apple Watch Series 5 always-on display was also praised, as was battery performance.
These and the rest of this week’s top stories below.
iOS | macOS | tvOS |
- iPhone 11 Pro review roundup: massive jump in camera quality, battery life claims deliver
- iPhone 11 review roundup: impressive Night Mode, ultra-wide camera is a useful addition, great price
- iPhone 11 vs iPhone 11 Pro comparison: Which should you buy?
- Wi-Fi 6 officially launches today, ahead of iPhone 11 availability on Friday
- Multiple camera simultaneous recording coming to iPhone XS and iPhone XR, not just iPhone 11
- First iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro orders now shipping prior to Friday
- Kuo: iPhone 11 demand better than expectations, stronger interest for new color options
- iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro have up to 3,969 mAh battery capacity and 4GB of RAM
- iPhone 11 Pro camera and Night mode praised by travel photographer Austin Mann [Gallery]
- The iPhone 11’s U1 chip will do more than locate Apple Tags…
- How to check what LTE bands the iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro have
- iPhone 11 Pro Diary: Sample photos in reviews have really whetted my appetite
- iPhone 11 Pro Max teardown shows off larger battery, compact rectangular logic board, more
- Filmmaker puts iPhone 11 Pro to the test with cinematic 4K journey through Tokyo [Video]
- More analysts and retailers report strong iPhone 11 demand, particularly in China
- Amazon selling carrier-locked iPhone 11 models, cellular Apple Watches unaffected
- iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro confirmed to feature LTE modems from Intel
- iPhone 11: Night Mode camera will make us rethink what we can capture with our phones
Mac + iPad |
Top Apple stories, retail |
Apple Watch |
Tech Industry |
Top Apple stories, company |
Subscribe to 9to5Mac’s YouTube channel for more videos.
This week’s top videos |
9to5Mac Daily |
Listen to a recap of the top stories of the day from 9to5Mac. 9to5Mac Daily is available on iTunes and Apple’s Podcasts app, Stitcher, TuneIn, Google Play, or through our dedicated RSS feed for Overcast and other podcast players.
9to5Mac Watch Time |
9to5Mac Watch Time is a brand new seasonal podcast series hosted by Zac Hall. Over the next three months, we’ll talk to real people about how the Apple Watch is affecting their lives.
Developers Rahul Matta and Will Bishop join Zac to discuss the opportunities made possible through making apps that work with Apple Watch. Rahul makes the excellent running log app Tempo, and Will is behind three watchOS apps including Chirp for Twitter.
9to5Mac Watch Time is now available on Apple Podcasts, Overcast, and your favorite podcast player through RSS. Subscribe now to enjoy our teaser trailer and hear new episodes as soon as they drop — starting next week.
Happy Hour Podcast #243 |
The first round of iPhone 11 and Apple Watch Series 5 reviews are out, Apple Watch Series 3 has a new low price, Apple Arcade is officially here, and iOS 13 and other major software updates are arriving this week.
Stacktrace Podcast #54 |
David Barnard, creator of apps like Launch Center Pro, joins John and Rambo for a special indie development edition of the show. The pros and cons of being indie, how and when to outsource tasks to others, and much more.
Apple @ Work |
Apple @ Work is a weekly series from Bradley Chambers covering Apple in education. Bradley has been managing Apple devices in an education environment since 2009. Through his experience deploying and managing 100s of Macs and 100s of iPads, Bradley will highlight ways in which Apple’s products work at scale, stories from the trenches of IT management, and ways Apple could improve its products for students.