RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK – The Triangle region’s presence on national job boards continues to increase despite the COVID Delta variant.
Over the last seven days, Indeed.com added 6,152 jobs in Raleigh and 3,157 jobs in Durham. ZipRecruiter added over 1,000 jobs in Raleigh as well. On Adzuna, Wake County has 1,648 more listings from a week ago, while Raleigh added 1,200.
Another set of labor market data from NCWorks shows that across North Carolina, openings for healthcare practitioners and technical workers dominated the job market in August, corresponding to 51,173 positions. Management occupations came in second, with 30,750 openings, followed by office and administrative support (22,552 openings), computer and mathematical occupations (21,693), and sales and related careers (20,530).
And North Carolina’s unemployment rate continues to bounce back from last year’s record highs. According to the latest figures from the North Carolina Department of Commerce, the state’s seasonally adjusted unemployment rate stands at about 4.3% as of August 2021—a 2.5 percentage point drop from August 2020.
The financial and information sectors saw the most job gains out of all other major industries studied last month, but NC Commerce also recorded declines across government, trade, transportation and utilities, and leisure and hospitality services.
WRAL TechWire is tracking the Triangle’s job trends as the region continues its economic recovery. Our weekly Jobs Report compiles the latest information from the region’s top job boards, offering a breakdown of how many jobs are posted, which companies are hiring and for what positions. We’ve also included upcoming job fairs, student-centric resources and a list of Twitter accounts that track local job openings.
Let’s highlight what’s new on the job boards since last week’s Jobs Report:
National Job Search Sites
Here’s an overview of the number of local jobs posted on national job boards compared to last week, as of Sunday afternoon.
- ⇑ Wake County: 40,360 jobs (+1,648 from a week ago)
- ⇑ Raleigh: 22,909 (+1,200)
- ⇓ Durham County: 9,998 (-83)
- Dice.com (using the 5-mile radius filter):
- ⇑ Raleigh: 17,351 (+451)
- ⇑ Durham: 17,078 (+399)
- ⇑ Chapel Hill: 16,845 (+406)
- Glassdoor: ⇑ 42,267 jobs in the Research Triangle Park area (+529)
- Indeed (5-mile radius filter):
- ⇑ Raleigh: 22,021 (+6,152)
- ⇑ Durham: 12,357 (+3,157)
- ⇑ Chapel Hill: 3,528 (+693)
- InHerSight: Pages upon pages of jobs across the RTP area
- LinkedIn (using the “exact location” filter):
- ⇑ Raleigh: 27,902 (+848)
- ⇑ Durham: 12,882 (+131)
- ⇓ Chapel Hill: 2,549 (-153)
- Remote Tech Jobs: Several remote jobs offered by Triangle-area employers
- ZipRecruiter (5-mile filter):
- ⇑ Raleigh: 35,958 (+1,115)
- ⇓ Durham: 14,214 (+984)
- ⇑ Chapel Hill: 3,743 (+110)
Startup Job Search Sites
Aside from the boards above, job seekers can also find local startup jobs at SimplyHired (236 startup jobs near Research Triangle Park), LinkedIn (1,266 results in and around Raleigh), Indeed (306 startup jobs in/near RTP), and AngelList (job openings in Raleigh, Durham and across North Carolina).
Here’s a look at local and regional job sites, listed in alphabetical order:
AMA Triangle, the fifth-largest chapter in American Marketing Association’s nationwide network, aims to be a go-to resource for all things marketing in the Triangle. AMA Triangle provides professional training, free career webinars and a job board offering free resume placement for marketing professionals.
As of Sunday afternoon, AMA Triangle’s job board shows 63 marketing jobs in Raleigh, 29 in Durham and 10 in Chapel Hill (with the 25-mile radius filter).
Two new jobs were posted on the site last week:
- Medtech firm Hillrom is hiring a global marketing manager to work remotely or out of its Cary office.
- Stewart, a design and engineering firm with offices across North Carolina, is hiring a digital/social media strategist in Raleigh.
Durham-based startup hub American Underground regularly posts job openings on its job board. Job seekers can filter their search by job function, location, company, industry and job title. As of Sunday afternoon, the site shows 297 jobs at 36 companies.
Dozens of jobs were posted in the last seven days:
- Insurtech startup Policygenius, which continues to expand hiring at its Durham headquarters, added listings for a sales team lead, a case management coordinator, a case manager, senior data analysts, sales associates, senior instructional designers, customer engagement associates and customer relationship managers.
- Durham-based data science firm NoviSci added three remote positions: Senior front-end software engineer, senior back-end software engineer and lead DevOps engineer. It’s also hiring a senior clinical operations specialist in Durham.
- LiveRamp, a California-headquartered SaaS firm, added several remote jobs, including account director, account executive, business development lead, contract recruiter, engineering lead, senior full-stack engineers, full-stack developer, lead product managers, lead TA partners, lead UX designers, software engineer, regional vice president of sales, revenue accountants, sales training and enablement program manager, senior account executives, senior product managers, senior software engineers, senior talent acquisition partners, solutions engineer, cloud platform engineer, data engineers, strategic publisher account managers, learning and development lead, learning and talent programs specialist, cloud infrastructure engineer, managing sales director, technical account manager and marketing analytics manager.
- Local telecommunication firm Relay seeks a support specialist in Raleigh.
- Insurtech startup Noyo added several remote positions, including business operations leader, content marketer, operations analyst, engineering manager, operations manager, product operations leader, software engineers, marketing VP, product VP, customer advocate and customer operations analyst.
- Local workforce software provider CloudFactory is looking to hire a senior financial analyst in Raleigh.
- Durham-based payments software provider Spreedly is hiring a staff site reliability engineer (remote option).
- Wild Earth, a pet food company, is hiring a field sales manager in Raleigh.
Earlier this year, WRAL TechWire and the North Carolina Biotechnology Center launched a Bio Jobs Hub platform focused on biopharma manufacturing — one of North Carolina’s largest industries, employing over 26,000 people.
Typical biopharma jobs include process technicians, maintenance and/or instrumentation technicians, quality assurance and quality control associates, process development scientists and process engineers. This industry also offers competitive entry-level salaries, from $42,000 to $60,000.
Scientists, skilled laborers and recent graduates can use the Bio Jobs Hub resource to find career and training opportunities in their area. Users can search by location, job category/activity and region.
Many biopharma companies are hiring in the Triangle, including large employers like Biogen in Research Triangle Park, bioMérieux in Durham, GSK in Zebulon, Merck & Co. in Durham, Novo Nordisk in Durham and Clayton, Pfizer in Sanford, and others.
Leadership Triangle’s job board is packed with local jobs. The site displays 608 openings at 30 companies as of Sunday afternoon.
Here’s what’s been posted in the last week:
- Burt’s Bees posted a position for a corporate quality manager in Durham.
- Medicago seeks two senior administrative assistants in Durham.
- North Carolina Central University in Durham posted several positions, including director of corporate and foundation relationships, director of development, assistant professor, area coordinator for residence education recruitment and selection, administrative support associate, facility maintenance supervisor, facility maintenance technicians, vehicle/equipment repair technician and administrative support specialist.
- Blue Cross NC is hiring for several positions in Durham, including business analyst, case manager, payment integrity vendor service delivery consultant, senior full-stack developer, senior solution architect, project/program coordinator, program manager, senior data integration modeler, data integration analyst, senior product delivery owner, senior ETL developer, senior data governance specialist, and client advocacy and resolution expert.
- Truist added postings across its Triangle-area locations. Open positions include business information manager, retail mortgage loan originators, investment analyst and senior relationship banker.
- Capitol Broadcasting Company (WRAL TechWire’s parent company) is hiring a radio account executive, a communications engagement director, a part-time high school OT assistant, a ticket sales manager, and a baseball senior and special projects accountant in Raleigh.
- Coastal Credit Union seeks a mortgage loan underwriter, a mortgage loan closer, an account resolution specialist and a construction loan officer in Raleigh.
The North Carolina Biotechnology Center’s extensive jobs board lists open jobs and internships from local life science companies and research organizations. Users can filter by job category, employment type (full-time, part-time and contractor), keywords, postal code and radius.
NCBiotech also touts jobs through its Bio Jobs Hub program.
Over the last week (since Sept. 20), over a dozen new jobs were added to NCBiotech’s board, including:
- Production associate in cell-based therapies at CoImmune in Durham
- Research associate/senior research associate at Tavros Therapeutics in Durham
- Senior marketing director, senior product manager, senior director of pricing and contract analytics, senior director of commercial insights and analytics, director of trade and patient support, commercial project manager, and VP of value, access and trade at Mycovia Pharmaceuticals in Durham
- Lab and facilities manager at DMC Biotechnologies in Durham
- Histotechnologist and laboratory assistant at Foundation Medicine in Morrisville
- Analyst at BioAgilytix in Raleigh
- Postdoctoral machine learning scientist at Collaborations Pharmaceuticals in Raleigh
- Associate directors/directors of business development and corporate strategy, preclinical development, and program and alliance management, and scientists specializing in gene editing and preclinical development at Life Edit Therapeutics in RTP
- Senior quality control specialist, quality assurance specialists, principal medical writer, senior technician, engineering validation specialist, senior specialist in quality control incoming components, senior instrumentation technician and incoming quality manager at Merck & Co. in Durham
- Mechanical engineer at NCX Corporation in Durham
- Senior research associate in RNA production and research associate in RNA biology at Ribometrix in Durham
- Research scientist at EpiCypher in Durham
- GMP associate scientist, postdoctoral associate and research technician at the Duke Human Vaccine Institute in Durham
- Assay specialist at Redbud Labs in RTP
- VP of quality and compliance at Precision BioSciences in Durham
- Quality supervisor and utility plant operators at Grifols in Clayton
- Scientist at KNOW Bio in Durham
- Senior scientist in protein/genetic engineering at Mucommune in Durham
- Research and clinical laboratory scientist at Galaxy Diagnostics in RTP
- Local recruiting firm Frankel Staffing Partners added a few jobs for its clients:
- Quality assurance specialist for a Raleigh-area biotech firm with a growing portfolio of sterile pharmaceutical and combination products
- Market research analyst for a high-growth pharmaceutical company in the RTP area
- Pharma compliance/documents reviewer at a Raleigh-area pharmaceutical company in high growth mode
- Technical writer and EH&S specialist/leader at a local company that’s developing precision therapy technology for cancer patients
The North Carolina Technology Association (NC TECH) has an interactive job board you can use to find your next career opportunity. Users can search by keyword, location, category, type (contract, full-time, part-time or temp to full-time), experience and education level.
A few local jobs were added to the site last week:
- Morrisville-based software firm inMotionNow added listings for a security program manager, a junior software developer, an agile coach and a senior software developer.
- Publishing software provider BlueMatrix is hiring a product project manager in Durham.
- Consulting firm MAXX Potential seeks an IT apprentice.
NCWorks, the statewide job search portal run by the North Carolina Department of Commerce, has nearly 100 career centers located across the state. Users can filter NCWorks’ database by keyword, location, occupation group or specific occupations, minimum acceptable salary, education level, job sources and date posted. NCWorks also has a mobile app on the Apple App Store and Google Play Store.
The NCWorks website contains a COVID-19 job board that lists companies hiring to fill immediate technical and healthcare needs in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
North Carolina military veterans, transitioning service members and spouses can find additional resources on NCWorks’ separate veterans portal.
NCWorks reports thousands of available positions. More than 2,100 people added or updated their resumes at the site in the past week, as of Sunday afternoon.
Here are the top 10 Wake County-based employers with the most job openings:
- Wake County Public School System: 2,730 jobs
- WakeMed Health and Hospitals: 1,875
- UNC Health Care System: 1,192
- NC State University: 1,166
- Deloitte: 1,016
- Microsoft: 741
- EY: 651
- Facebook: 572
- UNC Rockingham Health Care: 569
- McDonald’s Corporation: 526
Here are the top companies/organizations by job openings in Durham County:
- Duke University: 2,953
- IBM: 1,500
- Duke Careers: 774
- IQVIA: 725
- Microsoft: 645
- Durham Public Schools: 561
- Cree Wolfspeed: 534
- Fidelity Investments: 511
- Laboratory Corporation of America: 488
- Duke University Health System: 385
And here are the top employers in Orange County:
- UNC Health Care System: 1,160
- UNC-Chapel Hill: 681
- UNC Rockingham Health Care: 532
- UNC Health: 476
- Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools: 373
- ARAMARK Corporation: 146
- Orange County Schools: 126
- Piedmont Health Services: 82
- Harris Teeter: 79
- Hyatt Hotels Corporation: 66
Raleigh Founded, a startup incubator and coworking space, has its own job board. Job seekers can filter results by company, company size or industry.
The site currently lists 143 positions at 28 companies, as of Sunday afternoon.
Here’s what’s new on the site over the last seven days:
- Raleigh startup Pendo added listings for a product manager, a demo engineer, a technical success engineer and a senior product line specialist.
- MedPharm, a product design and development firm, is hiring an analytical scientist and a quality control technician in Durham.
- Veeva Systems, a cloud software provider with a presence in Raleigh, is hiring a senior migration consultant (remote).
- Local app development firm Lithios seeks a UI/UX designer and a React.js front-end web developer in Raleigh.
This isn’t a job board per se, but the Research Triangle Cleantech Cluster’s list of job search sources is a helpful resource for job seekers in the clean energy sector. The list has links to career opportunities from the organization’s members and partners.
Leadership Triangle, Raleigh Founded and American Underground recently teamed up to create the Triangle Region Job Board, which synthesizes all of the openings posted on the organizations’ job boards. (Those openings are listed under their respective subheadings above.)
As of Sunday afternoon, the site shows 1,742 listings from 86 companies, including:
- Coastal Credit Union (Raleigh)
- Burt’s Bees (Durham)
- MedPharm (Durham)
- Wild Earth (Raleigh)
- Spreedly (Durham)
- Medicago (Durham)
- Capitol Broadcasting Company (Raleigh)
- Pendo (Raleigh)
- Policygenius (Durham)
- Truist (across the Triangle)
- Citrix (Raleigh)
- Blue Cross NC (Durham)
- North Carolina Central University (Durham)
- CloudFactory (Raleigh)
- Veeva Systems (Raleigh)
Work in the Triangle, a Wake County Economic Development program, shares new openings daily through its Twitter feed, @WorkTriangleNC. And the search continues to be intense for talent to fill thousands of open jobs both inside and outside the Triangle tech sector.
Every Tuesday, Work in the Triangle’s #TriangleTuesdays hashtag lists hot jobs.
Posts from last Tuesday (Sept. 21) included openings from:
Scroll through the #TriangleTuesdays hashtag on Twitter for more details on the openings.
New Jobs at Mycovia Pharmaceuticals
Last week, RTP-based Mycovia Pharmaceuticals told TechWire that it’s hiring for several positions in project management, market access, insights and analytics, marketing and quality assurance. The late-stage biopharma company is developing drugs to meet women’s health needs.
A Mycovia spokesperson says it plans to add around nine employees through the fourth quarter of 2021. Its current headcount is 21.
Open positions include:
- Commercial project manager
- Director of trade and patient support
- Senior director of pricing and contract analytics
- VP of value access and trade
- Senior director of insights and analytics
- Senior product manager
- Senior director of marketing
- Quality assurance manager
New Jobs at Terra Dotta
Chapel Hill-based edtech company Terra Dotta told TechWire in late-August that it’s continuing to hire in the greater RTP area and anticipates another 10 new hires across sales, product development and marketing before the end of the year. The firm already has about 35 employees in the Triangle area.
Its latest openings are for a product marketing manager and a professional services manager. Read more and apply here.
The boost in hiring comes as the company just made the Inc. 5000 list and is celebrating its 20th anniversary. Terra Dotta CEO Anthony Rotoli says, “This level of growth isn’t as common in a more mature company, but we are actively hiring to continue a high growth trajectory and support the international program and global engagement priorities of higher education, both in North Carolina and nationwide.”
Upcoming Job Fairs and Career Events
Virtual Tech Job Expo 101: How Does It Work?: Sept. 29, 9:30-10:15 a.m. (online)
This webinar will lead job seekers and employers through a tour of Premier Virtual, the platform NC TECH uses to host its online career events, including its upcoming Virtual Tech Job Expo on Oct. 20.
NC State Ag & Sciences Virtual Career Expo: Sept. 29, 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. (online)
Hosted by NC State’s College of Agriculture and Life Sciences and College of Sciences, this virtual career fair will gather over 1,000 students from 82 undergraduate and graduate programs to meet with employers.
CRO Career Conversations: Oct 13. 8, 5:30-7 p.m. (online)
In this virtual event, attendees will hear from contract research organization (CRO) industry professionals as they discuss their career paths and responsibilities.
NC TECH Virtual Job Expo: Oct. 20, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. (online)
The North Carolina Technology Association’s virtual job fair will connect employers to job seekers looking for work in a tech role or to support a tech company. The event is free for candidates and job seekers.
Wake Tech Community College Business & IT Spring 2022 Career Fair: Feb. 9, 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. (online)
In February 2022, Wake Tech will host an online job fair for business and information technology students looking for new career opportunities.
Student Job Fairs and Career Events
NC State University:
More Job Resources for Local Students
If you’re a student looking for an internship or entry-level position at a local company or organization, your university has resources to help you get started. Quick links below:
Twitter Accounts to Follow
Here are some locally run Twitter accounts that regularly share job openings in the Triangle: