Internet

Prince Andrew news – live: Charles brushes off questions that he forced duke out as Giuffre speaks out – The Independent


Queen strips Prince Andrew of military titles after sex assault case sent to trial

Prince Andrew has been stripped of his military titles and will defend a civil sexual assault lawsuit as a “private citizen”, Buckingham Palace announced.

The Duke of York has returned his military appointments and patronages “with the Queen’s approval and agreement” and will no longer be known as His Royal Highness.

On Friday, Prince Charles brushed aside questions about Andrew’s exile from the royal family during a public appearance in Scotland.

Charles and William had been “instrumental” in the the decision and urged the Queen to remove him, according to the Daily Mail.

The decision to demote Prince Andrew came after he failed bid to convince a judge to dismiss a civil case brought by Virginia Giuffre in a federal court in New York.

Ms Giuffre alleges that she was forced to have sex with Jeffrey Epstein’s friends – including the Duke of York – when she was 17. Prince Andrew strongly denies the allegations against him. 

Meanwhile, The Times reports that Andrew’s legal team could hear as soon as this weekend whether Sarah Ferguson and Prince Beatrice will face questioning from Ms Giuffre’s lawyers.

Ms Giuffre has said a trial would be “a chance to expose the truth”.

1642197625

Girls don’t go quietly anymore – they become women with a voice

Girls are supposed to disappear – not grow into smart, together women who live in a time of unprecedented access to instant communication tools such as social media platforms, writes Katy Brand for Independent Voices.

Bevan Hurley14 January 2022 22:00

1642196725

Will Meghan Markle be called to speak at Andrew’s civil trial?

Meghan Markle could be called as a witness in Prince Andrew’s sexual assault lawsuit, according to Virginia Giuffre’s attorney.

David Boise told The Daily Beast last month that Ms Markle may have “important knowledge” of allegations that Andrew abused his Ms Giuffre three times when she was 17.

“She is somebody we can count on to tell the truth,” Mr Boies said.

Read the full story here.

Bevan Hurley14 January 2022 21:45

1642194925

Princess Beatrice and Sarah Ferguson may be questioned in Prince Andrew’s sex assault case

Princess Beatrice and Sarah Ferguson could be questioned as part of Prince Andrew’s sexual assault case.

His legal team has been asked to supply evidence to support his claims he took Princess Beatrice to a Pizza Express restaurant in Woking, Surrey, on the night Virginia Giuffre alleges he had sex with her.

Both Princess Beatrice and Sarah Ferguson could face questioning about that evening and the following days, the Times reported.

Thomas Kingsley has more.

Bevan Hurley14 January 2022 21:15

1642193125

Prince Andrew: Which British royals have lost their titles?

The Duke of York is not the first royal to lose his official role and titles.

Prince Harry, the queen’s grandson, and his American wife, Meghan, quit royal duties to forge new careers in Los Angeles in January 2020.

In the process, they too were stripped of all their patronages, the ‘His and Her Royal Highness’ titles, and Harry also lost his military roles.

Princess Diana, Harry’s late mother, also lost the title Her Royal Highness, when her divorce from Prince Charles was finalised in 1996 – a year before she died.

Further back in royal history, when King Edward VIII relinquished the throne in 1936 to marry American divorcée Wallis Simpson, he reverted to the style of Prince Edward, and was given the title, Duke of Windsor.

Tom Batchelor has the full story.

Bevan Hurley14 January 2022 20:45

1642191325

Virginia Giuffre says Prince Andrew sex assault trial ‘a chance to expose the truth’

Virginia Giuffre has said that the Prince Andrew sex assault trial will be “a chance to expose the truth” after a US judge allowed her case against the Queen’s son to proceed.

Her first comments on a federal judge’s decision to deny Andrews motion to dismiss her lawsuit comes after his military titles and royal patronages were stripped off by the Queen.

Ms Giuffre addressed the matter in a string of tweets on Thursday night, saying she was “pleased” that the case would move to trial.

“I’m pleased with Judge Kaplan’s ruling yesterday that allows my case against Prince Andrew to go forward. I’m glad I will have the chance to continue to expose the truth & I am deeply grateful to my extraordinary legal team,” she wrote on Twitter.

Graeme Massie has the full story.

Bevan Hurley14 January 2022 20:15

1642189525

Will Prince Andrew face trial over Virginia Giuffre’s claims of sex abuse?

A federal judge in New York threw out a request by Prince Andrew to dismiss a civil lawsuit accusing him of having sex with a 17-year-old girl who was being sex-trafficked by late paedophile Jeffrey Epstein, in a bombshell ruling that paves the way for the case to go to trial.

When will the trial begin?

Judge Kaplan has given a timeframe of between September and December 2022 for the trial to commence.

According to the judge’s scheduling order, both parties must disclose expert witnesses by 13 May and rebuttal witnesses one month later.

Discovery of evidence must be completed by 14 July and a joint pretrial proposal filed by 28 July, outlining whether the parties wish to proceed to a jury trial.

However, proceedings could be held up with delays. And Prince Andrew may seek to settle the case before it gets to trial.

Rachel Sharp explains what’s likely to come next.

Will Prince Andrew now face trial?

A New York judge has paved the way for a lawsuit accusing Prince Andrew of having sex with an teenage girl to go to trial. So what happens now?

Bevan Hurley14 January 2022 19:45

1642187725

So farewell, then, your not-so-royal highness

“Goodness, the House of Windsor really can be ruthless when it wants to be. Or has to be, more like. Life comes fast at you when you live in comfortable seclusion in a variety of royal palaces. That princely platinum pudding, Prince Andrew is learning all about that the hard way…

On Wednesday, the Duke of York gets notice that he faces a civil sex case in New York. On Thursday he’s told to hand back his remaining patronages, honorific military titles, collection of fancy uniforms (tailored for the more portly figure) – even the title of “his royal highness” won’t be “used” any more. And him a prince-of-the-blood royal, indeed. They didn’t even do that to Edward VIII when he abdicated back in 1936. Quite a day.

Read Sean O’Grady’s piece for The Independent Voices here.

Bevan Hurley14 January 2022 19:15

1642185925

Virginia Giuffre says Prince Andrew sex assault trial ‘a chance to expose the truth’

Virginia Giuffre has said that the Prince Andrew sex assault trial will be “a chance to expose the truth” after a US judge allowed her case against the Queen’s son to proceed.

Her first comments on a federal judge’s decision to deny Andrews motion to dismiss her lawsuit comes after his military titles and royal patronages were stripped off by the Queen.

Ms Giuffre addressed the matter in a string of tweets on Thursday night, saying she was “pleased” that the case would move to trial.

“I’m pleased with Judge Kaplan’s ruling yesterday that allows my case against Prince Andrew to go forward. I’m glad I will have the chance to continue to expose the truth & I am deeply grateful to my extraordinary legal team,” she wrote on Twitter.

Graeme Massie has the full story.

Bevan Hurley14 January 2022 18:45

1642184125

Is Prince Andrew still in the line of succession?

Prince Andrew remains in line to the British throne despite being stripped of his HRH style and honorary military roles.

The Duke is ninth in the line of succession.

First in line to the throne is Prince Charles, followed by Prince William. William’s three children come next; George, Charlotte, and then Louis.

The Duke of Sussex is next in line, followed by his son Archie and his daughter Lilibet. Andrew is next in line after Lilibet.

Kate Ng explains more below.

Bevan Hurley14 January 2022 18:15

1642182325

ICYMI: Prince Andrew sexual abuse case can move ahead to trial, judge rules

Prince Andrew faces the prospect of a civil trial over accusations that he sexually abused Virginia Roberts Giuffre when she was underage after a judge denied his attempt to have her lawsuit dismissed.

This week’s decision is a huge blow for the Duke of York, whose lawyer had claimed a confidential settlement with disgraced financier Jeffrey Epstein should absolve him of liability.

It paves the way for Ms Giuffre’s lawyers to enter into a protracted discovery and deposition phase that could draw in other members of the royal family.

A trial could begin between September and December, although it is not yet clear if the royal will have to travel to the United States or be required to give evidence another way.

Bevan Hurley14 January 2022 17:45



READ SOURCE

Leave a Reply

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you accept our use of cookies.