Dear USACC Members and Partners,
Please join us on Friday, June 5, at 9 a.m. EST for an online session on Azerbaijan’s role in transcontinental transportation of goods in Central Eurasia: from a junction point of sea and land to Global Value Chain
Dr. Taleh Ziyadov, Director General, Baku International Sea Trade Port, CJSC
You will hear:
Port development in Azerbaijan: Why American businesses should consider Azerbaijan?
This section discusses the stages of port development in Azerbaijan in connection with FTZ development in Alat. The main question of this section is why American companies need to consider Azerbaijan as a production and/or distribution hub in their transcontinental supply chains. What “benefits” shippers and carriers receive, besides cargo handling in/through Baku port?
Transformation into a landlord port: What does necessitate this transformation?
This section delves into the port’s strategic development goals – its intention to be developed into a world-class Green Port, providing sustainable growth, and rationalizing future infrastructure expansion needs.
From cargo-handling to logistics value-added services: What opportunities are available for American businesses to improve their productivity?
This section focuses mainly on Azerbaijan’s capacity to deliver value-added services. In modern phase of port development worldwide, logistics centers with manufacturing, assembly, subassembly, and distribution capacities attract more customers. What are the comparative advantages of Azerbaijan?
Harmonization of cargo handling and logistics services throughout the region.
This section discusses Azerbaijan as a part of a greater logistics map of Central Eurasia and covers port/FTZ development in neighboring countries.
Please register at [email protected] by June 4, EOD. You will receive the conference link and instructions shortly after your registration.
- Dr. Ziyadov’s short Bio:
- Appointed by the Presidential decree Dr. Taleh Ziyadov has been serving as Director-General of the Port of Baku since November 14, 2014. He has extensive knowledge of issues related to transport, logistics, and supply chain management in the Caspian region. He has previously advised private and public companies as well as international organizations on the matter of transport and logistics in Azerbaijan and the Greater Central Asian region.
- Dr. Ziyadov holds a master’s degree from the School of Foreign Service at Georgetown University and Ph.D. degree from Cambridge University. He is the author of the book “Azerbaijan as a Regional Hub in Central Eurasia” (2012), which provides a strategic analysis of the Euro-Asian trade networks, outlining the vision for developing Azerbaijan into a “regional hub” in Central Eurasia.
- Previously, Dr. Ziyadov served as Deputy Executive Director of the Washington-based United States-Azerbaijan Chamber of Commerce (USACC), and as Associate Dean for Academic Affairs and Senior Research Fellow at the ADA University.
- Company profile:
- “Baku International Sea Trade Port” CJSC (aka the Port of Baku) is the oldest and one of the biggest ports in the Caspian Sea. The port authority was restructured into a Closed Joint-Stock Company on March 18, 2015, to transform the port into the main trade and logistics gateway of Azerbaijan and a vital multimodal transit and logistics hub along the ancient Silk Road.
- The new multipurpose Port of Baku is located over an area of 400 hectares, about 70 kilometers south of downtown Baku, near Alat township. Its first phase was inaugurated on May 14, 2018 with an annual throughput capacity of 15 million tons of cargo, including 100,000 TEU. The second phase of the port envisages an increase in the throughput capacity to 25 million tons of cargo, including 1,000,000 TEU.