Man Utd target Jadon Sancho breaks Bundesliga record as Ed Woodward ponders move


Borussia Dortmund star Jadon Sancho, who is a well-known summer target for Manchester United, wrote his name into the Bundesliga history books on Saturday as he became the youngest player to record 50 assists in the competition. The 20-year-old played an important role in helping his side to a comfortable 3-0 win over Arminia Bielefeld, kicking off proceedings by setting up team-mate Mahmoud Dahoud for Dortmund’s first goal of the afternoon.

He then converted from the penalty spot soon afterwards to double his side’s lead.

Real Madrid loanee Jesus Carvalho added a third ten minutes from time to provide some gloss to the scoreline against Bielefeld, who find themselves firmly in the battle to retain their top-flight status.

United chief executive Ed Woodward is reportedly prepared to offer £50million for Sancho in the summer, with Dortmund understood to be open to selling their star man as a result of their deteriorating financial situation.

Whether the fee would be enough to tempt the German outfit remains to be seen, but it seems as if he would be worth every penny at that price.

He was arguably the best player on the pitch on Saturday, starring throughout to continue his stunning form as of late.

JUST IN: Real Madrid have Haaland transfer belief as Man Utd, Chelsea circle

Sancho initially made a muted start to the season, with speculation suggesting that his head had been turned by United’s well-documented pre-season pursuit.

The Red Devils approached Dortmund during the summer months with a view to securing Sancho’s services, but were rebuffed on every occasion by the Bundesliga heavyweights.

READ  Mikel Arteta sets challenge for Martin Odegaard ahead of Arsenal’s clash with Tottenham

They were said to be holding out in the hope that United would either match their nine-figure asking price or end their pursuit altogether.

Woodward chose the latter, but another approach is widely expected before the start of next season.

DON’T MISS

Dortmund chief Hans-Joachim Watzke hinted at Sancho’s potential departure earlier this week, claiming that a move could take place amid the uncertainty caused by the ongoing COVID-19 situation across the football world.

“In the midst of a pandemic, I no longer rule anything out, but it is not necessarily aspired to.” Watzke told Handelsblatt.

“Above all, there is the financial balance: that we have a strong team on the field and are economically stable at the same time. Asking banks for credit lines at the drop of a hat just to avoid selling a player will not be our way.”

Recent reports from Germany have claimed that Dortmund could be willing to accept a fee of £88m for Sancho at the end of the season, which represents a significant drop from their previous demand during the summer.

It remains to be seen whether Woodward can tempt Sancho to return to England, but with United said to be willing to submit a bid of just £50m, there could still be plenty of room for negotiation.

However, there is a possibility of yet another twist in the tale, with reports earlier this month claiming that Ole Gunnar Solskjaer may be more inclined to pursue Sancho’s team-mate Erling Haaland.

The striker is another player that could potentially arrive for a reduced fee, but the Red Devils are unlikely to be the only club in the hunt for his signature should they decide to launch a bid.

READ  Sheffield United vs Arsenal prediction: How will Premier League clash play out?

Chelsea and Real Madrid have also been heavily linked with the Norway international, who is quickly establishing himself as one of the world’s best finishers.





READ SOURCE

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here