Liverpool are reportedly plotting an £8million transfer swoop for Olympiakos centre-back Ruben Semedo in a bid to ease their defensive injury crisis.
Jurgen Klopp looks certain to have to sign a defender in the January transfer window, with Virgil van Dijk and Joe Gomez both out long term.
Van Dijk could miss the rest of the season after surgery to repair his anterior cruciate ligament, while Joe Gomez also went under the knife to fix a ruptured patella tendon he suffered on injury duty.
The double blow leaves injury-prone Joel Matip as Liverpool’s only senior centre-half – while stand-in centre-back Fabinho is recovering from a hamstring injury ahead of next Sunday’s Premier League clash against Leicester.
And to make matters worse for Klopp, star right-back Trent Alexander-Arnold was also ruled out for four weeks with a calf problem.
And as the Reds boss seeks out a centre-half signing, Semedo is the latest name on his shopping list, according to reports from the defender’s native Portugal.
Portuguese TV network Sic Noticias has claimed Liverpool are prepared to offer the 26-year-old a five-year deal in a bid to shore up their depleted rearguard.
Semedo, who can also play as a defensive midfielder, is said to be on a shortlist of targets including Bayern Munich defender David Aalaba, Brighton’s Ben White and Ozan Kabak of Schalke.
Twice-capped by Portugal, Semedo played for Sporting Lisbon and Villarreal before joining Greek side Olympiakos in July last year.
Liverpool have also been heavily linked with Alaba, and the Austria international Alaba is reportedly keen on Anfield as a destination after his contract with Bayern expires next summer.
The Italian publication says Serie A giants Juve would like to extend Chiellini’s contract until 2022 and bring Alaba to Turin in June.
Liverpool’s fringe centre-backs Nat Phillips and Rhys Wiliams look set for more first-team action in the absence of Van Dijk and Gomez.
Sign up to the Mirror Football email here for the latest news and transfer gossip.