Live updates: Tensions rise after another night of protests sparked by the killing of George Floyd


Denver Police officer Nate Magee chants with protesters marching during the fifth consecutive day of demonstrations in the aftermath of the death of George Floyd on June 1, 2020 in Denver, Colorado.

Michael Ciaglo | Getty Images

U.S. cities are assessing the aftermath of another night of protests sparked by the killing of George Floyd while in police custody in Minneapolis. Peaceful protests against police brutality and systemic racism once again turned destructive overnight, with tensions flaring between law enforcement and demonstrators. 

State and local officials are ramping up efforts to ease the unrest, adding to police forces and imposing earlier curfews on major cities. New York City, for one, has already announced its curfew Tuesday night will start three hours earlier than the curfew set for Monday. Still, President Donald Trump is calling for harsher government reaction, threatening late Monday to deploy the U.S. military to establish control in cities.  

This is CNBC’s live blog covering all the latest news on the demonstrations gripping the U.S. This blog will be updated throughout the day as the news breaks. 

Home Depot donates $1 million to civil rights organization

9:13 a.m. ET — In a message to employees and the public, Home Depot CEO Craig Menear spoke out against “the senseless killing” of unarmed black men and women, including George Floyd.

“We cannot ignore that their deaths are part of a pattern of racism and reflect the harsh reality that as a nation we are much too far from fulfilling the promise of equal justice for all,” he wrote. “We must stand with all who are committed to change that will bring us closer to realizing an end to discrimination and hatred.”

READ  China's Xi emphasizes global nature of Belt and Road project as forum concludes

Menear said the retailer will donate $1 million to Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights Under the Law, a Washington, D.C.-based nonprofit and nonpartisan organization. He said he is also working with employees to plan internal town halls “to share our experiences and create better understanding among us all.” —Melissa Repko

GM CEO ‘impatient and disgusted’ following deaths of black Americans

9:09 a.m. ET — General Motors CEO and Chairman Mary Barra is “impatient and disgusted” following the deaths of George Floyd and other black Americans, she said in messages to employees, suppliers and dealers this week. Barra said she is commissioning an “inclusion advisory board” of both internal and external leaders, which she will chair.

“Putting this in writing is not enough,” she wrote. “In addition to affirming the above principles, we are taking immediate action.” Barra said we need to stop asking why and start asking what we can “do – individually and collectively – to drive change … meaningful, deliberate change. As one of the largest global companies, there is much we can do.”

Barra’s message, according to a GM spokesman, was posted on the company’s internal intranet Sunday. It was then distributed to thousands of GM dealers and suppliers on Monday. —Michael Wayland

Cuomo proposes national ban on chokeholds by law enforcement

9:02 a.m. ET — New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo on Monday proposed a reform agenda that prohibits law enforcement officers from using excessive force and chokeholds.

“I said from day one, I share the outrage and I stand with the protestors, [sic]. You look at that video of the killing of an unarmed man, Mr. Floyd, it is horrendous,” Cuomo said during a press briefing with reporters, referencing the police killing of George Floyd, an unarmed black man, last week in Minneapolis.

“So, yes, we should be outraged,” he added. “And yes, there’s a bigger point to make. It is abuse by police. But it’s something worse. It is racism. It is discrimination. It is fundamental inequality and injustice.” —Yelena Dzhanova

Bank of America pledges $1 billion to help economic and racial inequality worsened by Covid-19

TikTok apologizes after apparent hashtag blackouts

Ford letter to employees on ‘tragic killing of George Floyd’

Ford Motor Company president and CEO James Hackett

Rebecca Cook | Reuters

7:47 a.m. ET — Ford Executive Chairman Bill Ford and CEO and President Jim Hackett sent a rather open letter to employees Monday regarding the “tragic killing of George Floyd” as well as America’s ongoing “systematic racism.”

Ford joins other companies such as Apple and Snap in sending messages to employees regarding the death of Floyd by a Minneapolis police officer last week, which has sparked protests and riots across the country.

“While we would like to say that racism has no place in our society, we know that systemic racism still exists despite the progress that has been made,” the letter said. “We cannot turn a blind eye to it or accept some sense of ‘order’ that’s based on oppression.”

READ  Apple is rejecting coronavirus apps that aren't from health organizations, app makers say

The message was sent Monday afternoon before President Donald Trump threatened to bring in the military if states and cities fail to bring an end to protests and riots across the country following Floyd’s death.

Ford’s message also addressed the coronavirus pandemic’s impact on black communities, citing “the legacy of economic disparities in our own home city of Detroit.” —Michael Wayland

Read CNBC’s previous coverage of the nationwide demonstrations: New York City imposes earlier curfew after violent protests, Trump threatens military action.



READ SOURCE

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here