Joe Gomez makes recovery promise as he breaks silence after serious knee injury


Joe Gomez is set for a long spell on the sidelines (Picture: Getty Images)

Joe Gomez has promised Liverpool fans that he will be return ‘better and stronger’ after his serious knee injury, while he has thanked all his well-wishers for their support.

The 23-year-old is likely to be out of action for around six months after damaging a tendon in his left knee during England training earlier this week.

The defender underwent surgery for the injury, with the operation in London on Thursday reported to be a success.

The damage was done to the tendon rather than the ligaments, which is a plus for the former Charlton man and now he starts his recovery from the injury.

‘The road to recovery has already begun,’ Gomez wrote on Twitter on Friday evening.

‘I’ve been here before, I know what it takes and I’ll be back better and stronger than ever. I’m obviously gutted, but this is part of God’s plan and I believe everything happens for a reason.

‘I’d like to thank everyone for their well wishes and messages of support. I’m focused on my recovery and supporting my teammates in every way I can. See you soon.’

Gomez suffered a serious knee injury right at the start of his Liverpool career in 2015, missing a year of action after damaging his Anterior Cruciate Ligament.

After bouncing back from the season-ending problem, he has gone on to make well over 100 appearances for the Reds, winning the Champions League and Premier League in the process, while also being capped 11 times by England.

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp will hope that he has Gomez available to him again this season, which remains a possibility, although he is certainly going to miss the majority of the campaign.

With the injury occurring on England duty, Three Lions boss Gareth Southgate spoke to Klopp about Gomez’s plight.

‘I think all the managers, I had a long chat with Jurgen last night, we’re all worried about player welfare,’ Southgate said ahead of England’s clash with the Republic of Ireland on Thursday.

‘To lose a player in the way that we did yesterday, for us and for Liverpool, but most importantly for the boy, is really tragic.

‘I said there needs to be a look at the calendar. We’re fortunate to have the six subs tonight, five for the Nations League. We’ve got to try and lessen the load, as much as we can, for the players.

‘Unfortunately the injury was so unique in how it happened, we know it was just a consequence of the number of games.

‘Wherever he had been, there’s a chance it would have happened. ‘But we [Jurgen Klopp and I] are on the same page, we think the welfare of the players is critical.’


MORE : Gareth Southgate lifts lid on ‘long chat’ with Jurgen Klopp after Joe Gomez injury


MORE : Mark Lawrenson mocks ‘willow tree’ Joel Matip and says Liverpool must buy a defender

Follow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

For more stories like this, check our sport page.





READ SOURCE

READ  Newcastle v Man Utd: All the best bits you may have forgotten from the historic rivalry

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here