RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK – North Carolina’s unemployment rate dropped to 4.6% in June, as labor force participation and job gains increased for all sectors. And, according to the North Carolina Technology Association’s latest IT Job Trends report, the demand is especially high for information technology project managers, computer systems engineers/architects, information security analysts, and computer and information systems managers—occupations that have grown by over 80% since May 2020.
National Job Boards
National job boards show thousands of opportunities in the Triangle:
- Dice.com (using the 5-mile radius filter): 12,351 jobs in Raleigh, 12,087 in Durham and 11,853 in Chapel Hill
- Glassdoor: 42,902 jobs across the Triangle area
- Indeed (5-mile radius filter): 12,402 jobs in Raleigh, 6,382 in Durham and 3,326 in Chapel Hill
- InHerSight: Pages upon pages of jobs across the RTP area
- LinkedIn (using the “exact location” filter): 53,964 jobs in the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area, including 23,849 in Raleigh, 12,241 in Durham and 2,222 in Chapel Hill
- Manpower (20-mile radius): 8 jobs in Raleigh, 11 in Durham and 10 in Chapel Hill
- Remote Tech Jobs: Several remote jobs offered by Triangle-area employers
- ZipRecruiter (5-mile filter): More than 30,257 jobs in Raleigh, 13,620 in Durham and 4,511 in Chapel Hill
As the Triangle raises its profile as a quantum hub, quantum computing jobs continue to swell across the region. LinkedIn currently shows over 260 quantum-related job postings from IBM, Microsoft, Fidelity Investments, Accenture and other local employers. Indeed also lists 40-plus quantum information jobs in Durham.
And while the job market expands in niche career fields, jobseekers are increasingly interested in finding information about training opportunities and education options through resources like NCBiotech’s Bio Jobs Hub and the state’s NCCareers.org platform. NCCareers launched last July and has since gained 1.3 million page views and over 178,000 unique visitors exploring local occupations. According to the site, users were most interested in occupations such as nurse practitioners and registered nurses, application software developers, financial managers, physician assistants and veterinarians.
The demand for job training programs in specialist occuptations is strong, and local community colleges are responding with new programs addressing that trend. Wake Technical Community College recently announced it received a $562,000 National Science Foundation grant to expand its Cloud Infrastructure Associate in Applied Science degree program. It will also introduce a Certified System Administrator program this August in partnership with Red Hat. And this September, Durham Technical Community College will kick off its new Bio-Agricultural Program Readiness Opportunity program.
WRAL TechWire is tracking the Triangle’s job trends as the region continues its economic recovery. Our weekly Jobs Report compiles the latest information from the region’s top job boards, offering a breakdown of how many jobs are posted, which companies are hiring and for what positions. We’ve also included upcoming job fairs, student-centric resources and a list of Twitter accounts that track local job openings.
Let’s highlight what’s new on the job boards since last week’s Jobs Report:
Startup Job Search Sites
Aside from the boards above, job seekers can also find local startup jobs at SimplyHired (257 startup jobs near Research Triangle Park), LinkedIn (1,390 results in and around Raleigh), Indeed (273 startup jobs in/near RTP), and AngelList (job openings in Raleigh, Durham and across North Carolina).
AMA Triangle, the fifth-largest chapter in American Marketing Association’s nationwide network, aims to be a go-to resource for all things marketing in the Triangle — serving over 470 members. AMA Triangle provides professional training, free career webinars and a job board offering free resume placement for marketing professionals. Every month, it hosts a free “Transitions Mastermind” program for job seekers and those seeking advice on career improvement.
AMA Triangle’s job board currently shows 80 marketing jobs in Raleigh, 39 results in Durham and 28 results in Chapel Hill (with the 25-mile radius filter).
Several jobs were added since last week’s roundup:
- Associate director of annual giving communications and marketing at North Carolina State University
- Social media manager at Raleigh-based advertising agency The Republik
- Senior sales and marketing specialist at EBSCO Information Services, an online research aggregator, in Durham
- CRM marketing manager at Victra, a Verizon retailer, in Raleigh
Durham-based startup hub American Underground regularly posts job openings on its job board. Job seekers can filter their search by job function, location, company, industry and job title. The site currently shows 196 jobs at 30 companies.
Several jobs were posted within the last week:
- Senior software engineer at telecommunication firm Relay in Raleigh
- Temporary property administrator at American Underground in Durham
- Director of digital marketing, director of product management and supply chain, manufacturing engineer and safety manager at furniture startup Nugget in Butner
- Senior recruiter, remote operations and sales professional, and senior data engineer at insurtech startup Policygenius in Durham
- Mid/senior-level full stack software engineer at Durham-based social media archiving startup ArchiveSocial
- Remote quality assurance specialist and product director at edtech startup Upswing
- Senior customer success manager at Durham fintech startup LoanWell
- Customer service and content specialists and director of marketing at Durham-based self-publishing company Written Word Media
- Full stack engineer, software developer and mechanical engineer at PROTECT3D, a developer of custom athletic protective devices, in Durham
- Remote sales development representatives, inside sales district analyst, and sales and operations specialist at LearnPlatform, a local edtech startup
- Director of quality for Aledade, a health care software provider, in Raleigh
- Investment associate and chief of staff at Durham-based venture capital firm Bull City Venture Partners
- Remote vendor success associates at CureMint in Durham
Earlier this year, WRAL TechWire and the North Carolina Biotechnology Center launched a Bio Jobs Hub platform focused on biopharma manufacturing — one of North Carolina’s largest industries, employing over 26,000 people.
So far this year, North Carolina has welcomed 15 expansion announcements from life science firms, corresponding to $2.9 billion in investment and more than 2,600 jobs.
Typical biopharma jobs include process technicians, maintenance and/or instrumentation technicians, quality assurance and quality control associates, process development scientists and process engineers. This industry also offers competitive entry-level salaries, from $42,000 to $60,000.
Scientists, skilled laborers and recent graduates can use the Bio Jobs Hub resource to find career and training opportunities in their area. Users can search by location, job category/activity and region.
Many biopharma companies are hiring in the Triangle, including large employers like Biogen in Research Triangle Park, bioMérieux in Durham, GSK in Zebulon, Merck & Co. in Durham, Novo Nordisk in Durham and Clayton, Pfizer in Sanford, and many more.
The North Carolina Biotechnology Center’s extensive jobs board lists open jobs and internships from local life science companies and research organizations. Users can filter by job category, employment type (full-time, part-time and contractor), keywords, postal code and radius.
NCBiotech also touts jobs through its Bio Jobs Hub program.
Over the last week (since July 12), over two dozen new jobs were added to NCBiotech’s board, including:
- Tissue culture technician at Path BioAnalytics in Durham
- Entry-level technician at MedKoo Biosciences in Morrisville
- Senior process engineer at Alcami in Morrisville
- Research associate at BioResource International in Durham
- Logistics associate at BioLabs North Carolina in Durham
- Research associate at EpiCypher in Durham
- Pharma giant Merck & Co. posted more than two dozen new jobs at its Triangle locations:
- Associate directors of integrated customer engagement
- Associate directors of U.S. oncology digital engagement and channel strategy
- Senior maintenance technician
- Lead utilities technician
- Senior operations technician
- Senior technician
- Remote managing medical writer
- Remote principal medical writer
- Senior operations specialist
- Site quality systems and compliance director
- Lead operations technician
- Senior specialist in external quality assurance
- Associate director of external manufacturing operations
- Associate director of global vaccines regulatory CMC
- Lead maintenance technician
- Senior specialist in information technology quality assurance
- Associate directors of U.S. marketing in pipeline vaccines and vaccine confidence
- Engineering specialist and senior engineering specialist
- Associate production technician
- Lead technician
- Associate technician
- Quality operations laboratory specialist
- Senior specialist in utilities engineering
- Associate director of quality assurance
- Senior technician in heating, ventilation and air conditioning
- LATAM regional labeling liaison
- Manufacturing automation specialist
- Senior specialists in oncology planning and analysis
- Scientific program manager and postdoctoral associate at the Duke Human Vaccine Institute in Durham
- Quality assurance specialist and senior quality assurance validation specialist at Eurofins Professional Scientific Services in Sanford
- Local recruiting firm Frankel Staffing Partners posted a few jobs for its clients:
- Quality assurance manager/engineer at an RTP biopharma company
- Associate director or director of medical affairs at a pharmaceutical company in the Raleigh-Durham area (remote option available)
The North Carolina Technology Association (NC TECH) has an interactive job board you can use to find your next career opportunity. Users can search by keyword, location, category, type (contract, full-time, part-time or temp to full-time), experience and education level.
Only two new local jobs were posted last week: Chapel Hill-based Quinsite, a health care analytics software provider, is looking to hire a pair of analytics developers.
Raleigh Founded, a startup incubator and coworking space, has its own job board. Jobseekers can filter results by company, company size or industry.
The site currently lists 164 positions at 28 companies, as of Sunday afternoon.
A few new jobs were added over the past week:
- Raleigh startup Pendo added a listing for an education and enablement manager.
- Local edtech startup LearnPlatform is hiring remote sales development representatives, a remote inside sales analyst, and a sales operations specialist in Raleigh.
This isn’t a job board per se, but the Research Triangle Cleantech Cluster’s list of job search sources is a helpful resource for job seekers in the clean energy sector. The list has links to career opportunities from the organization’s members and partners.
Work in the Triangle, a Wake County Economic Development program, shares new openings daily through its Twitter feed, @WorkTriangleNC.
Every Tuesday, Work in the Triangle’s #TriangleTuesdays hashtag lists dozens of hot jobs.
Don’t forget #TriangleTuesdays starts tomorrow! You can mention @WorkTriangleNC or use our hashtag #TriangleTuesdays to submit a job for FREE! Anyone is welcome to post their jobs to our page if the jobs are in #Wake County or the #Triangle. @RaleighWake @raleighchamber
— Work In The Triangle (@WorkTriangleNC) July 12, 2021
Posts from last Tuesday (July 12) included openings from:
Scroll through the #TriangleTuesdays hashtag on Twitter for more details on the openings.
New Jobs at CureMint
American Underground-based CureMint, a startup with a procurement software platform for dental organizations, tells TechWire it is looking to add new talent to its team. It has openings for several positions:
- Senior full stack software engineer
- Mid level full stack software engineer
- Senior product manager
- UX designer
- Senior UX designer
- Product manager
New Jobs at Terra Dotta
Chapel Hill-based edtech company Terra Dotta tells TechWire it’s looking to fill several jobs across its product development, sales, support, finance and accounting teams.
Open positions include software quality assurance engineer, senior software engineer, junior software engineer, software architect, product owner and senior account executive. Interested job seekers can read more and apply here.
The company’s CEO, Anthony Rotoli, cited the return of international travel and new developments in the education technology industry as reasons to ramp up hiring.
“We remained conservative with hiring during the pandemic, but we’ve had tremendous growth and are now expanding our team in the Triangle area and beyond to deliver on the increasing interest in global engagement opportunities and the technology to support it – both with travel resuming and with the evolution of new ways to deliver international education experiences virtually and on college campuses,” Rotoli stated.
Upcoming Job Fairs
NCWorks Orange County Southern Hospitality Hiring Series: July 23 and Aug. 27, 9. a.m. – 12 p.m. @Europa Center in Chapel Hill
This summer, NCWorks of Orange County is hosting a series of hiring events featuring local restaurants, hotels, craft brewing companies, caterers, venues and more hospitality industry employers.
NCBiotech Jobs Network: Careers in Biopharma Manufacturing: July 26, 12-2:30 p.m. (online)
The virtual event will include a talk from NC Secretary of Commerce Machelle Sanders, followed by a panel discussion with biopharma manufacturing employees. They will share details about their career paths and job training, and what it’s like to work for a biopharma company. Attendees can also network with representatives from local biopharma companies and training programs.
How To Join a Startup: July 28, 1-2 p.m. (online)
Join this virtual event to hear from startup employees about what it’s like to work at a startup and how you can land a job at one.
NC TECH Virtual Job Expo: Oct. 20, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. (online)
The North Carolina Technology Association’s virtual job fair will connect employers to job seekers looking for work in a tech role or to support a tech company. The event is free for candidates and job seekers.
Wake Tech Community College Business & IT Spring 2022 Career Fair: Feb. 9, 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. (online)
In February 2022, Wake Tech will host an online job fair for business and information technology students looking for new career opportunities.
Job Resources for Local Students
If you’re a student looking for an internship or entry-level position at a local company or organization, your university has resources to help you get started. Quick links below:
Twitter Accounts to Follow
Here are some locally run Twitter accounts that regularly share job openings in the Triangle: