If you’re passionate about a cause and want to start a petition, you can do so online. There are many websites that allow you to create a petition, but the most notable is Change.org. It is a technological platform used by over 200 million to foster groundbreaking change all over the world, and its petitions originate from just a few simple steps. Here’s how to start your own Change.org petition.
How to start a petition online via Change.org
1. Go to Change.org in a web browser.
2. Click on “Start a petition.”
3. Click on the category that best represents your petition’s issue, such as health, racial justice, or women’s rights. If you don’t see your issue represented by any of the categories, click “See more” to view other categories.
4. Type a title for your petition. If you’re having trouble coming up with a title, consult some of Change.org’s tips for help. When you’re finished, click “Continue.”
5. Type in some targets for your petition. The targets might be organizations, companies, or political figures, among other things. Essentially, the targets of your petition will be the people or groups whose influence is most likely to impact the success of your petition. For example, if your petition aims at saving the whales, you might choose Sea World as a target.
6. Type a description for your petition that explains the issue, what kind of impact you want your petition to have, and why people should sign the petition. If you’re having trouble, try looking at other successful petitions for ideas on how to get started. Click “Continue” once you’re finished.
7. You can add a photo or video to drive more traffic to your petition, increasing your potential for signatures. If you want to do so, choose a photo that relates to the petition and upload it in the box. Click “Save and preview” once you’re finished.