The bulls came out with all guns blazing on Dalal Street after the indices hit their lowest levels in March at the height of Covid pandemic fear. This rally gave Sensex and Nifty double-digit gains for Calendar 2020.
BSE Sensex has advanced nearly 14 per cent from 41,253 on December 31, 2019 to 46,973 on December 24. The index had hit a 52-week low of 25,639 in March on the outbreak of Covid-19 pandemic, which led to a nationwide lockdown.
However, liquidity measures taken by governments and central banks helped sustained flows to equities and took domestic benchmark Sensex past the 47,000 mark for the first time this December.
But the question is: will the ongoing momentum sustain in 2021? Which sectors can potentially deliver handsome returns going ahead? We caught up with Abhishek Basumallick, Chief Equity Advisor, Intelsense Capital, to understand his views.
Welcome to the show, Mr Basumallick!
1) What are your expectations from Sensex and Nifty next year?
2) Will 2021 be a year of midcaps and smallcaps?
3) Name three sectors that you think will shine next Calendar.
4) How much weightage should one give to equities, bonds, gold and real estate for next five year?
5) What are the key lessons one should take from 2020?
Thank you Mr Basumallick, that was indeed an insightful conversation.
That’s it in this week’s edition of the special weekend podcast. Do come back next Saturday for this weekly special. You can check out our regular podcasts on the equity market twice every week day.