Emily Maitlis back on Newsnight in wake of Cummings row


Emily Maitlis returned to presenting Newsnight on Monday for the first time since the controversy over her comments on Boris Johnson’s top aide.

The presenter was found to have broken the BBC’s impartiality guidelines following her monologue on Dominic Cummings last week. In her introduction to that show, Maitlis said Cummings had “broken the rules” when he travelled from London to Durham during lockdown and “the country can see that, and it’s shocked the government cannot”.

The BBC said the monologue “did not meet our standards of due impartiality”.

Maitlis returned to Newsnight on Monday but did not mention the Cummings row during a show focusing on the protests that have broken out across the US in response to the death of George Floyd under the knee of a white Minneapolis police officer.

Following the controversy over Cummings, Maitlis did not appear as scheduled on an episode of Newsnight, saying she asked for the evening off.

The presenter, widely lauded for her interview with the Duke of York in 2019, said she had been “overwhelmed” by support from viewers after her monologue. The 49-year-old broadcaster wrote on social media: “Been overwhelmed by all the kindness, messages – and support on here – and I’ve probably missed much of it.

“A big thank you from us all at Newsnight.”

With Press Association



READ SOURCE

READ  Gentleman Jack is a true TV marvel – romantic, raw and totally radical

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here