BRITS hunting for a bargain should book their next family holiday to Corfu, according to the latest research.
To get the best deal, however, you need to book this week.
The Greek island has some of the cheapest seven-night deals in August, according to TravelSupermarket.
The average price per person per night in Kavos was just £56.25, or £61.94 for Sidari in Corfu.
Eating out in Corfu was also found to be one of the most affordable, with the average price of a three-course meal costing less than £15 each.
However, to get the best deal, you need to book approximately five weeks before travelling – meaning this week is the perfect time for any July or August holidays.
Cheap deals include seven nights in a three-star hotel for just £305 per person, or a family of four heading to Kavos on August 1 for just £334 per person.
Half-board deals are also rather cheap, with a seven-night break costing £389 per person.
Emma Coulthurst, travel commentator from TravelSupermarket, said: “If you pick a package holiday to Corfu over one of the more expensive destinations on the list, you can cut your holiday costs by more than half.”
Bulgari also has a number of cheap deals, with package holidays under £334 per person for an all-inclusive deal.
Cheapest summer 2019 package holidays for families
1. Kavos, Corfu, Greece – £56.25pppn median
2. Golden Sands and Albena, Bulgaria – £60.29pppn
3. Costa Brava, Spain – £61.30pppn
4. Sidari, Corfu, Greece – £61.94pppn
5. Neapolitan Riviera, Italy – £63.82pppn
6. Puerto Rico, Gran Canaria – £64.08pppn
7. Malia, Crete – £65.72pppn
8. Valencia, Spain – £67.40pppn
9. Bourgas (Sunny Beach and Nesebar), Bulgaria £67.50pppn
10. Fuengirola, Costa del Sol, Spain £68.41pppn
Brits should avoid trips to Ibiza, Santorini or Marbella, as they came out as the most expensive.
Compared to Corfu, the average cost per person per night exceeds £100, with Ibiza costing £114.57.
Emma added: “Brexit concerns, currency volatility and last year’s heatwave are all having an downward effect on bookings and holiday prices this year.
“It means that there are seven night holidays available currently for school holiday dates from under £260pp, when it is normally difficult to find anything for under £350pp.”
TravelSupermarket’s tips on booking a family holiday
- Generally speaking, the time when prices drop to their lowest and therefore the cheapest time to book a last-minute, seven-night holiday for the family for the summer school holidays is five weeks before you want to go. So, if you want to go in the first week of the school holidays, now is a good time to search and book.
- The key to getting the cheapest last-minute holiday deals is flexibility. If you can travel mid-week, on early morning or late-night flights or outside of peak periods, you’re likely to find much cheaper prices.
- If you can, opt to travel early on or late in the break as prices tend to drop at these times.
- Also consider the term times for schools in nearby areas: if Manchester schools break up earlier than schools in Leeds, flying from Leeds Bradford Airport may be the cheaper option.
- It also pays to remember to check out all the offers before you book. Price comparison websites, just like TravelSupermarket, will lay out all your options in one place – and you can easily filter for your personal non-negotiables like star rating and board basis.
Other cheap deals to Greece include three nights in Malia for just £183 per person or seven nights for just £207 per person.
The TUI offers are for last-minute travel with flights from next month.
Cheap Crete deals can be found from £158 per person for a seven-night holiday.