Downtown Olympia is brimming with charming shops, boutiques, and restaurants but none quite compare to the whimsy of Captain Little. Dare I say, Captain Little is the most precious toy shop this side of the Mississippi. Truly, a gem of our state’s capital.
In 2014 the fictitious Captain Little, a sweet and brave mouse, embarked with his crew on a new adventure. Olympia’s long standing toy store, Wind Up Here, was closing, and a void was left. Every town needs an independent toy store and Captain Little was going to roll in and save the day!
And so, on the corner of 5th and Washington, a new, bright, and brilliant toy store was born. Thanks to a team of hardworking team members and endless community support Captain Little has embraced both the old and new generation of toy lovers.
So, yo-ho-ho, this holiday season (and year round for all your toy needs) do not miss browsing Olympia’s Captain Little. The shop curates the best toys around and features them in enduring displays. You can truly spend hours noticing all the details, accessories, and perfectly researched games, books, and play things. Shopping Captain Little will not only awaken the child within you, but excite you for the future. Toys these days are not all full of glitz and glam, beeps, and single play mode – there are amazing options that are secretly educational, open-ended, and of heirloom quality. And you can find them all at Captain Little.
Lest your browsing leave you overwhelmed – truly, it is so hard to decide when you are surrounded by amazingly perfect toys, here are a few top recommendations:
- Tegu building blocks: The Tegu brand is the proud mastermind of simple, beautiful blocks with magnets inside that allow for endless, open-ended creations.
- Maileg mice: I almost hate to introduce you to these darling little creatures, they are a collection waiting to happen!
- Eeboo Create a Story Cards: Our family has this set and I absolutely adore sitting down with my preschooler and watching his imagination come alive. Each set has a picture and a phrase and then you arrange the cards to create a story. Kids’ minds are truly the most amazing thing! This is a perfect thing to tuck in your bag for restaurant fun while you wait.
- STEAM activities: Captain Little has too many STEAM (science, technology, engineering, art, and math) options to list! But if you’re looking to engage future creators, definitely get to Captain Little for some gift inspiration.
- Pyramid Arcade: This is on our wish list! It is one box that contains TWENTY TWO tabletop games inside. Talk about compact, minimalist goals that won’t shortchange you on the fun.
In addition to an array of perfect gifts, Captain Little also offers the best seasonal events. Normally they are quite robust with high attendance and hands-on fun, but this year they have modified holiday offers for the current times. Check out this announcement from the Captain Little team:
It is that time of year again! Drop off your Letter to Santa now at the shop. You can ask for special holiday gifts, ask about the reindeer, and see how 2020 has been for Santa & Mrs Claus. Just make sure an adult writes the name and return address, and you just might get a special surprise back!
In preparation for a safe yet still wonderful holiday, Captain Little’s team is ready to help you find the perfect gift through in-store shopping as well as curbside pick-up. They are open daily from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. and then the week of December 20th evening hours stretch to 8 p.m.. Finally, on Christmas Eve you can nab last minute treasures from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Captain Little will be closed on Christmas Day.