An Australian magazine claimed in a front-page story that Prince Harry and Meghan Markle were set to split up just hours after the royal couple announced they were pregnant with their second child.
The cover of New Idea that landed on shelves on Monday was emblazoned with a picture of Harry and Meghan on their wedding day with the caption: “It’s all over.”
The scoop – that also claimed to have an “official palace statement” to corroborate its story – came as the Duke and Duchess of Sussex announced they were expecting a second child.
The couple on Sunday put out a black and white photo of themselves, sat under a tree in Los Angeles, with Harry gazing at his wife and resting his hand on Meghan’s head as she lies in his lap cradling her bump.
A spokesperson for Meghan and Harry said: “We can confirm that Archie is going to be a big brother.
“The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are overjoyed to be expecting their second child.”
The Queen and the rest of the royal family were said to be “delighted” at the news.
A Buckingham Palace spokesman said: “Her Majesty, Duke of Edinburgh, Prince of Wales and entire family are delighted and wish them well.”
It is understood the couple told the royal family in advance of making the news public.
Meghan’s due date has not been revealed, but her bump appeared prominent in the photograph.
Meghan revealed she suffered a miscarriage in November last year in a deeply personal article for the New York Times, writing: “I knew, as I clutched my firstborn child, that I was losing my second.”
The couple quit their roles as senior working royals in March 2020 in a quest for personal and financial freedom, and now live in an £11 million house in Montecito in California.
New Idea have been approached for comment.